Swiss investor categories
Swiss investors are categorized in two categories: Professional clients and Private clients. Requirements vary according to the category.
- Independent wealth managers
- Regulated insurance institutions
- Pension funds and companies with a professional treasury management
- Security dealers
- Regulated fund management companies
- Other regulated companies
- HNWI who opt out of the private clients category
- Family offices without a professional treasury management who opt out of the private clients category
Distribution to Professional clients is subject to simplified regulatory requirements.
- Individuals and HNWI
- Family offices without a professional treasury management
- All non-professional clients
Distribution to Private clients is subject to a FINMA authorization and regulatory requirements.
Professional treasury management?
Art. 3 FinSO states that a company or a private investment structure has a professional treasury management if it employs internally (or mandates externally) an experienced person with qualifications in the financial domain to manage their financial resources in the long term.